Client: Kent State University
Architect: Braun & Steidl Architects
Construction Value: $3 million
Location: Kent, Ohio
- Complete restoration of the existing envelope.
- Removal and replacement of 393 windows.
- Removal, abatement, and replacement of 12,000 SF of existing Plaza EPDM Roofing System and one-fifth of structural concrete with insulated, lightweight concrete, membrane roofing system, pavers and a vegetative roof system.
- Remove and replace 13,500 SF of existing EPDM System and insulation with new membrane system, fall protection system, and lightning protection.
- Placement of temporary roof systems was required to allow for other construction activities to be completed before the roof system was installed.
- Cast-in-place structural concrete repairs.
- Cast-in-place concrete and masonry cleaning, sealant replacement and water repellent.
- Removal and replacement of all metal railing around the plaza deck.
- Project was bid and awarded at the end of May 2013; all windows had to be ordered, delivered, removed and replaced before classes resumed on August 16.